Orthopedic shoes should be worn by children who have disorders of the musculoskeletal system. They should be also worn if the child has foot deformities and flat feet, as well as cerebral palsy and diabetes mellitus. The issue of how to properly wear children’s orthopedic shoes is very relevant since the results and effectiveness of such preventive therapy directly depend on compliance with the rules of proper wearing. Keep on reading this article in order to find out how to wear orthopedic children’s shoes in the right way!
In order for orthopedic shoes to produce a positive impact on a child’s health, when wearing them, you should strictly follow these recommendations:
- Shoes should be well fixed on the foot, otherwise wearing them can be harmful. If the shoes are too loose, it can lead to foot deformation. Therefore, it is necessary to securely fix all laces, Velcro, or fasteners. However, don’t fix the shoes too tight as this causes a violation of the feet' blood supply.
- You have to choose shoes of the proper size. Don’t buy shoes with room to grow. The position of the instep support, which doesn’t correspond to the feet structure, leads to its deformation.
- It is necessary to wear only the shoes in which the child feels comfortable.
- Shoes should be selected according to the season.
- The way of wearing orthopedic shoes for children is determined by the doctor. If you would like to achieve a positive effect, then you should strictly follow the recommendations of a specialist.
The term of wearing orthopedic shoes for a child is determined by an orthopedic doctor. A common mistake is to stop wearing shoes after achieving the first positive results on the way to eliminating the external manifestations of foot deformity. However, at the same time, the muscular-ligamentous apparatus is not properly strengthened yet, so if the child stops wearing orthopedic shoes the orthopedic problems will quickly return. Thus, the use of orthopedic shoes is necessary until the doctor will prescribe you to stop wearing them according to the results of the treatment.